Our food banks provide three-day emergency food parcels for people in crisis, working in partnership with organisations across the community. We are committed to ensuring anybody visiting a food bank is welcomed, valued and treated with dignity. Volunteers take time to share a warm drink, discuss food requirements, offer a listening ear and, when appropriate, signpost people for further support and help.
As a Food bank centre helper you will play a vital role giving direct support to people who use food banks, meeting and greeting people coming into the food bank, packing their food parcels, making them feel comfortable and providing further signposting support where appropriate.
In this role you can make a real difference to people’s lives providing vital help and support to those in crisis in your local community.
• Welcome clients to the foodbank centre
• Receive vouchers, check validity, and prepare food parcels according to the standard packing lists
• Make refreshments and tidy up as required during the session
• Offer a listening ear and signpost clients, as required, to further support, using information from the signposting folder/leaflets
• Offer prayer to clients, when appropriate (if a volunteer is happy to do so)
• Work under the guidance of the session leader and report any health & safety or safeguarding concerns to the project manager/session supervisor
: As a food bank warehouse team leader you will play a crucial role in ensuring the smooth running of the food bank warehouse, supporting volunteers, coordinating activities and being the main point of contact for handling queries for the duration of the session.
• Supervise and motivate a team of volunteers
• Support the recruitment and induction of new volunteers as required
• Oversee and delegate tasks to ensure the smooth running of the food bank warehouse
• Uphold safeguarding, health and safety and hygiene policies, reporting any concerns to your Main Contact
• Ensure food bank policies and procedures are followed
• Create a welcoming, caring and friendly atmosphere for volunteers and people coming to the centre
• Lead a volunteer debrief at the end of each session
• Attend team leader meetings as required
• Regularly report to your Main Contact / Food bank Project Manager
Food banks provide three-day emergency food parcels for people in crisis, working in partnership with organisations across the community. Drivers play a fundamental role in the running of the food bank, collecting food donations from a variety of locations across the local area as well as distributing the sorted donations from the warehouse to the local food bank centres.
WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING
Collecting food donations from collection points such as supermarkets, schools and churches around the local area
Delivering food donations to the warehouse
Transporting sorted food from the warehouse to the local food bank centre
Carrying heavy boxes of canned foods
Regular loading and unloading of vehicles
Regular driving across the local area