Ronald McDonald House Charities UK provides free ‘home away from home’ accommodation for families with seriously ill children in specialist children’s hospitals across the UK. Ronald McDonald House Edinburgh sits within the Royal Hospital for Children and Young People at Little France in Edinburgh. This 25-bedroom House provides free, comfortable accommodation to families with children and premature babies being treated at the hospital.
The Edinburgh House is looking for enthusiastic individuals to become part of our House team and help make a difference to families with children in hospital. This may be in the form of helping with various roles and responsibilities in-House, out in the community or both. They will act as representatives for the charity and help to raise awareness of the work we do.
The COVID-19 pandemic has significantly impacted our ability to host events and offer specific services, but we continue to support families so that they can be near their poorly child’s bedside at 12 hospitals across the UK. We need volunteers to support Ronald McDonald House Charities now more than ever.
What can I do?
As a volunteer at the Ronald McDonald Edinburgh House, your activities could include:
• Collecting valuable donated items for the House such as food and new equipment
• Helping our team at reception with tours, ward checks and checking families into the House
• Housekeeping tasks, including preparing bedrooms, assisting in laundry, or cleaning in the kitchen, ideally during evenings and weekends
• Taking part in organised events within the House and around the local community
This volunteering opportunity would suit someone who enjoys working as part of a team and is a real people person with a kind, polite manner. Having a passion for the work that we do and showing an interest in supporting the charity in your local community is also important. We ask that you can give up a few hours of your time every month and act as a reputable ambassador of the charity at all times.
Why should I apply?
There are so many different benefits of volunteering with us. You will have fun getting to know the members of our team as well as other people in the hospital, the charity and in the community. This is a great chance to personally make a difference to families who are going through an extremely difficult time in their lives Ronald McDonald House Charities UK.
How will Ronald McDonald House Charities support me?
• Providing a detailed induction about the aims of RMHC and the difference we make
• Offering the opportunity to learn and try new things
• Being part of a fun and friendly House team