The North Lanarkshire Befriending Project help support vulnerable and isolated young people aged 8-18 in the local area. With social isolation, inequality and child poverty on the rise, the need for befrienders to support young people to increase their confidence, achieve personal goals and make links in their local community, is more important than ever. If you are passionate about the wellbeing of children and young people and could spend time with a young person sharing a hobby or activity on a fortnightly basis, then become a befriender in North Lanarkshire today!
Once trained and matched to a young person with similar interests, the befriender and young person meet every fortnight to take part in an activity. For example, you could meet for a hot chocolate, nature walks, a gym class, bowling or the cinema. There may be particular activities that the young person would like to take part in but we also encourage volunteer befrienders to introduce ideas for new activities when appropriate.
Befrienders will give a young person a positive role model in their life by passing on their skills and experience, enabling them to try new experiences and simply providing them with a few hours of fun. By committing to just a couple of hours every fortnight, you could make a real difference where it is needed the most.
• Must commit to contact with young person at least once every 2 weeks for 12
• Attend training, delivered in 3 x 3 hour blocks
• Must apply to the PVG scheme (handled and paid for by the project)
• Interest and enthusiasm in working with young people
• Must be at least 18 years of age
As a volunteer, you would have the satisfaction of helping a young person in need, increasing your own confidence, enhancing your skills and experience and having fun!
For further information or to apply for this role, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 07746938237.
'For just a few hours a week you can help change the life of a young person living in Clackmannanshire!'
Volunteering Matters is a national volunteering charity. We recognise the potential our Young People across Clackmannanshire possess. They have aspirations and goals like us all – but may not currently have the skillset, tools or guidance needed to turn these into a reality. The effects of COVID-19 have seen a large number of Young People across Clackmannanshire experiencing social isolation, loneliness, poor mental and physical health and without a ‘Positive Destination’.
Equip Mentoring uses the power of volunteers to support young people who are not in employment, education or training (NEET) or who need additional guidance and support to enter the employment market, further education or training. We recruit, train and support Mentors who are matched 1:1 with a young person, using their life experience to act as a positive and reliable role model.
Volunteers meet with their young person on a regular basis. They provide practical and emotional support, helping young people to make informed choices about their future and guiding them along the way. Mentors help young people develop their confidence and resilience to adapt to changes and fulfil their full potential.
• Volunteer mentoring scheme running across Clackmannanshire, funded by Children In Need
• Mentoring support for young people aged 15-18 who are not in employment, education or training (NEET) or who need additional guidance and support to reach a ‘Positive Destination’
• Up to 12 months of volunteer mentoring, focused on building confidence and building pathways into higher education, employment or training
• Aged 18+
• Able to complete our volunteer recruitment and training process including a PVG check
• Good people, communication, and organisational skills
• Able to understand and relate to young people
• 12 months commitment
• No other skills or qualifications are required, just a willingness to support a young person in need of encouragement and guidance.
WHAT WE PROVIDE
• Full induction and ongoing training
• All ongoing support provided by the project’s Volunteer Manager
• Out of pocket expenses, including travel costs
• References for volunteers
• The opportunity to make part in a meaningful mentoring role, giving back to the local community
If you wish to Volunteer or would like to hear more details please contact the team on 07950 653372 or email email@example.com .