A key volunteer leadership role within Scotland's unique Children's Hearings system.
The Depute Area Convenor will support and manage the team of specialist volunteers making decisions to continually improve the outcomes and experiences for vulnerable children & young people in East Renfrewshire.
The Deputy Area Convener role is critical in providing leadership & direction to the local Area Support team supporting panel members:
- assisting the Area Convener in managing & representing the East Renfrewshire Area Support Team
- engaging & building relationships within the local panel community
- communicating and sharing information
- overseeing & managing complaints
- co-ordinating panel members recruitment, induction, attendance at Hearings, training and support
- monitoring performance and targets of East Renfewshire AST
- continually seeking to develop & refresh opportunities to ensure the best decisions are being made for the vulnerable children & young people of East Renfewshire
Panel Practice Advisors (PPAs) are an important part of the Children’s Hearings system. The Scottish Government fund the system and Children’s Hearings Scotland support the 3,000 volunteers throughout Scotland. The Children’s Hearing system is part of Scotland’s care and justice system and is an opportunity to intervene appropriately to protect and ensure the wellbeing of young people.
There are three Panel members on each Children’s Hearing and the supportive role of the PPA is to observe and give feedback on the quality of what they do. The PPA has no influence on decisions made by Panel members. Other responsibilities include taking a lead on recruiting new Panel members, reappointment of Panel members and managing complaints. You will be part of the national PPA forum. Knowledge or experience of the Hearing System would be beneficial, however training will be provided.
All applications must be made through the Children's Hearings Scotland website at www.chscotland.gov.uk.
Select the VOLUNTEERING WITH US tab. Then select Area Support Team on the right hand side. Vacancies will then appear under the the Area Support Team title, select Vacancies. look for the apply here* wording on the page.
As part of the appointment process an application will be made to the Disclosure Scotland PVG scheme. This will be paid for by Children's Hearings Scotland.