Charity registered in Scotland
The Welcoming is an independent charity that supports migrants and refugees to build new lives in Edinburgh. It provides a wide range of classes and activities on a free of charge, drop in basis. The aim is to help newcomers feel at home and achieve their potential in Scotland.
The Welcoming Association's befriending programme matches local volunteer befrienders with newcomers to Edinburgh. Volunteer befrienders commit for 9 months to providing regular friendship to newcomers, enabling them to develop wider social networks, practice English language, improve familiarity with Scottish culture and services, and learn about all the things their new city has to offer. Befriending is about supporting and empowering individuals in their new city to find a sense of belonging.
• Map appropriate routes for monthly cycling group
• Assist newcomers with fitting helmets, hi-vis vests, lights and adjusting seat heights on bikes
• Doing pre-ride bike safety checks, and performing any minor maintenance
• Ensuring that all participants are safe on the cycle routes
• Administering first aid if necessary
• Ensuring all bikes and equipment are returned to the office after the bike rides
• Advising participants as to where they can buy bikes, and access bike maintenance services
To share a social activity with women who are new to Edinburgh, offering informal support with English language learning and information about the local community, on a 1-1 and/or group basis. Playing with children to enable their mums to have some time to relax.
• Help with set up and clear up of venue
• Facilitate and supervise activities for women and children
• Offer opportunities for women to practise English through conversations and inclusive weekly group activities.