Volunteer Centre East Lothian
Charity registered in Scotland
We provide support, learning and development opportunities for people and organisations. We provide guidance, support and training to Third Sector organisations and community groups. We enable people to engage with their local community, develop and learn new skills through volunteering. We also facilitate Third Sector representation at a local level through our delegate system. Elected from with the Sector, delegates voice challenges and opinions on emerging issues, get involved in local decision making and champion the work of the Sector.
We offer a fantastic befriending service to young people aged 8 – 14 who are referred to us through professionals working with them.
We aim to create a supportive and nurturing match with a fully trained befriending, to increase self-esteem, confidence and motivation in a young person’s life. Young people must be care experienced, be the sibling of a child with additional support needs, be receiving support from CAMHS or other mental health services, have a chaotic lifestyles or home environment to be referred to the service.
If you would like to make a positive and lasting impact on a local young person’s life and you can offer a few hours a week, this might be perfect opportunity for you!
To find out more, please contact us to find out more.
We work alongside the East Lothian Community Rehabilitations Team of Physio’s & Occupational Therapist who help to identify patients whom they feel would benefit from extra volunteer support to help them live their life in a better way, assisting to reduce loneliness and social isolation.
There are many things that you can get involved in, here are a few examples:
• Supporting the individuals on a health walk to gain strength.
• To go shopping or do some shopping for them.
• Picking up prescriptions.
• Wellbeing calls.
• Company for a coffee & a chat.
• Assist use of technology to contact their friends, family & online shopping.
• Accompany them on a bus trip to an appointment.
• Assisting to read letters.
Community Taskforce support will be delivered to people throughout East Lothian. Tasks will be delivered to people who are unable to leave their own home and may include;
- Providing support with collection and delivery of small amounts of groceries.
- Help with collection of prescriptions from a pharmacy.
- Assisting with minor errands as necessary or collection/ delivery of goods.
- Tidying gardens, putting out bins or recycling.
- Walking dogs.
- Help to manage anxieties caused by a reduction in visitors.
- Wellbeing phonecalls.
Please follow this link to apply;