Garden volunteer at Larkhall Community Garden is an exciting and unique opportunity to be part of a friendly horticulture team. The volunteer will help us maintain our Community Garden in Hareleeshill Larkhall which was previously derelict land. Volunteer will gain experience in working on raised beds, sensory garden wildlife garden and within our polytunnels.
To assist in seasonal gardening tasks throughout the year that will develop as the gardens develop. Volunteers will work in supervised groups led by a line manager. Some tasks are physically demanding and require a level of manual dexterity. Volunteers will work to the Larkhall Community Growers health and safety policies and procedures.
• Garden maintenance – including weeding, mulching, edging, raking, digging over, staking and tying in, pruning, dead heading, bed preparation, tidying and path maintenance.
• Seasonal propagation and growing on – including seed sowing, cuttings, potting up.
• Composting – turning and processing, spreading and digging in.
• Bed renovation and grounds development - reinstating and installing beds, ground preparation, planting, bulb planting.
• Clearing overgrown areas – keeping on top of any invasive species.
• While support and training will be provided, from time to time volunteers may work independently or without one to one supervision
We will provide volunteers with an induction, including health and safety procedures. Specific horticultural skills will be developed whilst on the job.
This opportunity provides strong links to improved mental health; creating a positive routine, enjoying outdoor space, the opportunity to socialise, become more hands on with natures calender and see and feel the benefits of your hard work bare fruit.