All trustees collectively have responsibility for Play Midlothian, with day to day management delegated to staff. The legal responsibilities for each trustee, under the Charities and Trustee Investment (Scotland) Act (2005), are to:
· Act in the interest of the charity: Trustees should put the interests of their charity before their own interests or those of any other person or organisation.
· Operate in a manner consistent with the charity’s purposes
· Act with due care and diligence
· Ensure that the charity complies with the provisions of the 2005 Act and other relevant legislation.
Play Midlothian has identified the key responsibilities of its trustees as:
· To contribute to setting the vision and overall strategic direction for the organisation
· To ensure good financial planning, agreeing the income generation strategy and budgets
· To ensure that income and expenditure levels are regularly compared to agreed budgets and that variances are identified and explained
· To manage, safeguard and protect the assets and resources of Play Midlothian and ensure that they are used only for the purposes set out in Play Midlothian’s governing document
· To oversee the development and delivery of Play Midlothian’s business plan, including monitoring and reviewing progress against agreed activities and outcomes
· To promote a culture of evaluation and learning within Play Midlothian and with its stakeholders
· To manage and safeguard the reputation of Play Midlothian and oversee the strategy for external and stakeholder relations
· To ensure that Play Midlothian adheres to its own values, particularly in relation to service users, volunteers, staff and other stakeholders
· To ensure a commitment to equalities throughout the policy and practice of Play Midlothian