Borders Care Voice, a charity based in Galashiels, is looking for a new Treasurer to join our Board of Trustees to help guide and advise us on financial matters.
We would be keen to hear from someone who would like to become part of our dedicated and passionate team of Trustees and staff. You should have a finance/accounting experience and knowledge of financial systems and reporting.
The Treasurer will oversee the financial matters of the charity in line with good practice and in accordance with its constitution and legal requirements. She/he will report to the Board of Trustees at regular intervals about the charity’s finances. The Treasurer will also ensure that effective and appropriate financial measures, controls and procedures are put in place.
• overseeing, approving and presenting budgets, accounts, financial statements and financial reports to the Board of
• ensuring that the financial resources of the organisation meet its present and future needs
• be involved in developing and implementing financial, reserves and investment policies.
• liaising with the Chief Officer about financial matters
• ensuring that appropriate accounting procedures and controls are in place
• advising on the financial implications of the organisation's strategic plans
• liaising with the external organisation that processes salaries
• liaising with the independent examiner to ensure that the annual accounts comply with the Statement of
Recommended Practice (SORP) for charities
• ensuring that equipment and assets are adequately maintained and insured
• keeping the Board informed about its financial duties and responsibilities
• Making a formal presentation of the accounts at the annual general meeting and drawing attention to important
points in easily understandable way
• Complete the annual return to the Office of the Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR).
• Complete Annual Corporation Tax Return (if required by HMRC)
• Monitoring the NEST Pension Scheme and re-enrolling staff as required
In addition to the qualities needed by all Trustees, the Treasurer should also have:
• financial experience and business planning skills
• some experience of organisation finance and fundraising, especially within a charity setting
• the skills to analyse proposals and examine their financial consequences
• be willing to make unpopular recommendations to the Board
• be willing to give financial advice and answer enquiries from staff or volunteers on an ad hoc basis.
• to help the Board to fulfil its duties.