The Abbotsford Trust
Charity registered in Scotland
Abbotsford is the home of the 19th century writer Sir Walter Scott and is run by The Abbotsford Trust, a registered Scottish charity. We offer a five star visitor experience to visitors from across the world including the historic house and collections, 100 acres of designed landscape, formal gardens, a free Visitor Centre with an exhibition on Sir Walter Scott, play trail, gift shop, restaurant, events and special exhibitions.
Our Room Stewards are the face of Abbotsford and play a vital part in welcoming visitors from all around the world. All you need is a smile and a genuine interest in Abbotsford and our work.
Role Description :
What you will be doing*
• Welcoming visitors from all over the world to the house
• Managing the flow of visitors through the house and liaising with staff and volunteers throughout the site
• Instructing visitors on the use of our audio guides
• Offering information on the history of the rooms and objects within the house
• Caring for collections and looking out for their security and welfare
• Encouraging visitors to complete feedback forms at the end of their visit
• Promoting upcoming events and activities to visitors
• Providing directions and guidance to visitors (including other attractions within the Borders)
• Promoting excellent customer service
• Working as part of a team to give visitors to Abbotsford an unforgettable experience
• Excellent communication skills and confidence in conversing with the public.
• An interest in meeting and speaking to people from all walks of life and all around the world.
• A warm and friendly personality
• Excellent time management and punctuality
• Commitment to excellent customer service
• Be the public face of Abbotsford
• An interest in and willingness to learn about of Sir Walter Scott and his descendants, Abbotsford and the Borders.
• Enthusiasm to share your knowledge with our visitors
Do you enjoy organising or being involved in exciting events? Are you a practical person who likes to meet other people and work with the public? Why not join our happy team of Volunteer Events Volunteers?
Role Description :
This is a varied role for someone who wants to get involved with events at Abbotsford. As an exceptional visitor attraction, public events at Abbotsford continue to play an important role in our commitment as a charitable trust to engage with the local community. Whether giving a hand with the set-up arrangements before an event starts, helping with family craft activities at Scott’s birthday or welcoming visitors to our Christmas fair, our events volunteers will enjoy a huge variety of activities within a close team. Our events take place mostly at weekends and evenings, and events volunteers can choose dates which suit them.
What you will be doing*
• Work within a dynamic team to deliver successful and enjoyable events for the visiting general public.
• Onsite stewarding during public events.
• Engage with the public, in particular families, in a range of activities.
• Practical help with signage, marking out spaces for exhibitors, moving tables, putting up gazebos and so on.
• Creating materials for events and assisting with the preparation work.
• Basic administration tasks including photocopying, laminating etc.
• Set up and break down on event days.
• Post-event activities such as debriefings, clearing the site, event reviews.
• Ensure the safety and enjoyment of the visiting general public complying with all Covid measures introduced by the Abbotsford Trust.
• Respect the values set by the Abbotsford Trust.
Abbotsford welcomes over 40,000 visitors a year from all over the world. We have been a world-famous visitor attraction since Sir Walter Scott died in 1832.Taken over by a charitable trust in 2007, our mission is to care for his house, estate and collection and share his legacy with the world. We are looking for friendly and outgoing individuals to welcome and orientate visitors around the site. You will be liaising with the house stewards to ensure that the flow of visitors into the house is managed efficiently. Our volunteers are the face of Abbotsford and play a vital part in welcoming visitors from all around the world and making their visit unforgettable. No prior knowledge is necessary, as full training will be given. All you need is a smile and a genuine interest to learn about Abbotsford and support our important charitable work.
What you will be doing:
• Welcoming visitors when they arrive in the South Court
• Check their tickets and orientate them towards their destination – house or gardens.
• For house visitors, explain what to expect on the house tour.
• Help them to download the audio tour.
• Use booking sheet to manage timed entry tickets.
• Stagger entry if multiple bookings for a time slot.
• Manage the flow of visitors entering and exiting the house by liaising with the house stewards and the visitor
• Explain the route through the gardens and point out the chapel.
• Keep informed about and actively promote other activities and events at Abbotsford.
• Answer any questions they may have to the best of your abilities.
The safety of our volunteers, visitors and staff is paramount to the Abbotsford Trust. We have carried out detailed Covid risk a assessments for all our volunteer roles. We monitor and adhere to all government and public health advice and guidelines and expect all volunteers, visitors and staff to adhere to our protocols.