British Heart Foundation (Peebles Charity Shop)
Charity registered in Scotland
The aim of the BHF is to play a leading role in the fight against heart disease. The BHF aims to do this through research, education and care, funding medical research, providing support and information and also providing life saving equipment for hospitals and funding BHF nurses.
Are you happy to volunteer using your own vehicle?
Do you have a few hours a week to spare and enjoy meeting people?
If you’re an active person looking for a flexible volunteer driver role then come and join our friendly team. Without Volunteer Stock Collection Drivers we can’t collect our generous donors’ items, and our shops won’t be able to beat heartbreak forever.
We need help now more than ever to collect donated items from our supporters when they are unable to bring them into our shop themselves. You will need to be physically fit and active for this driver role due to the lifting and carrying of donation bags in and out of the vehicle.
It will be your responsibility to ensure that you have a full, valid driving licence and that your vehicle is correctly insured for carrying out collections of BHF donations – don’t worry, we can help you with this. You’ll use your own vehicle and travel will be reimbursed at the HMRC rate (currently 45p per mile).
If you’re a keen rummager and like things to be neat and tidy, then we have a role for you - helping in our retail stock room to sort the fantastic donations we receive behind the scenes. If you love a bit of ironing, then master the steamer and watch those wrinkles disappear (it’s surprisingly therapeutic!) or become a tagging extraordinaire, allowing customers to understand what item they are purchasing.
Whether you’re a lover of vintage clothing, films, books, vinyl records or stunning jewellery – or perhaps you just fancy the company of other friendly volunteers away from the shop floor whilst making a difference - our retail stock room role is the place to be behind the scenes.
Typical tasks include:
· Sorting out donated items and preparing them for sale
· Using a clothes steamer and tagging price labels on to clothing items
· Identifying unsaleable donations for recycling
· Keeping the sort room organised and tidy
· Looking after a certain department based on your interests alongside paid staff
· Acting as an ambassador for the British Heart Foundation
Could you be the face of your local British Heart Foundation shop? If you want to gain cashier and sales experience in a friendly environment, this is a great way to get a taste of a career in retail while helping raise live-saving funds. With support around you, you will be processing sales through the till as a cashier, talking to customers and thanking every donor - helping us beat heartbreak forever.
Typical tasks include:
· Engaging with customers and serving them in a helpful and friendly way.
· Communicating with fellow volunteers about what has sold and needs re-stocking.
· Honing your retail and cashier skills behind the till and taking payments.
· Helping with administration and reception duties around the till area.
· Promoting Gift Aid and sales campaigns, and chatting to customers.
· Acting as an ambassador for the British Heart Foundation.