Caledonia Housing Association’s Volunteer Project supports older people living in retirement housing schemes across the city. We are looking for friendly and reliable volunteers who enjoy socialising in a one-to-one setting, either in person, or over the phone.
This role will involve providing companionship for an older person who may be isolated or lonely. This could be visiting and having a cup of tea and a chat, sharing interests and stories, or even going out for a cuppa or a walk together! This role is particularly vital as we come out of lockdown and the Covid-19 pandemic.
Many older people are feeling more isolated than ever, and your companionship could make a real difference to their wellbeing. All of our current Befrienders say how much they enjoy the role and how much they themselves get out of the relationship. No experience is necessary, would suit someone who enjoys supporting older people and can give a few hours of their time per week or fortnight. We provide Befriender Induction Training for all candidates – All befriender volunteers are required to undergo a PVG check prior to starting.
What a Digital Champion is:
Digital Champions help people who get devices through Connecting Scotland to do things online like:
- connecting a device to the internet using the Wi-Fi settings, and putting in the password when they need to
- sharing documents by attaching them to an email
- understanding that not all online information and content that they see is reliable
- The aim is that, with support from Digital Champions, learners will be able to use the internet safely, confidently and effectively.
You do not need to be a technology expert to be a Digital Champion. But you do need to be confident in your own digital skills. You also need patience, enthusiasm and a desire to help others. FULL TRAINING AND SUPPORT IS PROVIDED!
What Digital Champions do
The kinds of things that Digital Champions might help learners to do include:
- setting up their device
- setting up an email address
- showing them how to use video calling
- showing them how to shop online