At Blackwood we provide care (in care homes), care at home services and tenancies to people with
different support needs. We believe that using technology can significantly support independent living
and have offered our customers a tablet which is set up with our innovative system CleverCogs©. To
support the successful adoption of this programme, we need the help of volunteers to ensure our
customers are comfortable using their tablets and make the most of their tech.
-What will I be doing as a Digital Buddy?:
Digital Buddies will combine befriending with digital literacy, so your role will include:
• helping people set up their new devices
• using video calls and messaging apps
• accessing online learning opportunities
• explaining how to stay safe online
• helping to problem solve where you don’t know the answer yourself
• enjoying a chat with people to find some common interests and build a rapport quickly
• helping people to find online resources that match their interests
• Support sessions with learners usually take place in person, once or twice a week, so 45-60
minutes is usually enough time to make progress.
• Reporting on progress made and encouraging volunteers to provide feedback on sessions
This is an opportunity to be more involved with others in your local community - Helping others can
also improve your own health & wellbeing! It is also a chance to develop your own skills and
competencies with the option to pursue a qualification in digital skills.