Provide a befriending service to patients and support spiritual care team
- Volunteers will be expected to visit and provide a befriending service to patients in acute hospital wards and maintain contact with them during their inpatient stay in line with local on-site needs.
- Volunteers will respect the patients’ personal beliefs and provide a basic level of emotionally support
To support patients in the ward by spending time with them, assisting with distributing meals or carrying out activities.
Volunteers can carry out a range of duties to support patients within the wards. Patients may be elderly or not have any visitors so having volunteers spend time with them can really make a difference. Our ward helpers can support with some or all of the following tasks:
- Chatting to patients and helping them feel at ease
- Assist during the patient mealtimes (12pm or 5pm) to distribute food and drinks and help to clear up at the end
- Serving juice, tea and coffee to patients under ward instruction
- Playing board games or arts and crafts with patients
- Offering companionship and someone the patients can talk to