Ever thought of helping people, but not sure what you could do?
Do you enjoy spending time with older people?
Can you spare some time to help others?
Becoming a Safer Ageing volunteer may be just for you!
Hourglass Scotland, part of the UK-wide charity, Hourglass (formerly Action on Elder Abuse) is dedicated to calling time on the harm, abuse and exploitation of older people. We aim to promote safer ageing and a fairer society for all older people.
Hourglass are enhancing our community-led services, and we’re therefore looking for volunteers to deliver frontline support to older people. Our volunteers provide a range of support to help those who have experienced abuse or exploitation, as well as any older person who may be at risk. You’ll provide immediate advice and support to older people and those concerned about them, as well proactively helping keep older people safe from harm. During the lockdown, our volunteers are continuing to provide support to older people remotely, but we will resume in-person support when possible.
We are developing a range of services and activities to promote safer ageing and stop abuse; incorporating prevention, recovery and resilience, interest-based groups, social events, one-to-one support, and more. Volunteering roles include:
• Providing one-to-one support to an older person in their own home, a community setting or over the phone
• Hosting or assisting with coffee mornings or social events
• Facilitating or assisting interest groups (e.g. crafts, photography, story-telling, local history, etc) Groups will be flexible according to your own interests/skills
• Raising awareness of the work of Hourglass & issues relating to safer ageing and the abuse of older people
• Hosting information stands or pop-up clinics at community venues and events
We’re looking for people who are passionate about stopping abuse and empowering older people to live well and age safely; who understand issues affecting older people; who can demonstrate empathy, patience, sensitivity and resilience; and who can listen and support non-judgementally. If you match this description, are aged over 18, and can commit to an hour or more per week, we’d love to hear from you. Some roles may be home-based.