We are looking for 4 dedicated volunteers to live at the Social Bite Village (in Edinburgh) for 6-12 months to be part of our residential community for adults who have experienced homelessness. We need you to encourage and motivate community life in the village.
The Social Bite Village is the vision of Josh Littlejohn, Founder and CEO of Social Bite. The village provides a home for up to 20 people affected by homelessness at a time. Cyrenians provide skilled key-workers so residents receive one-to-one support to achieve individual goals by tailoring a personalised plan appropriate to their needs.
Volunteers and residents live within our community facility and manage the day-to-day domestic tasks and decisions within the village, which is your home. As a Residential Community Volunteer you'll be living alongside people who have experienced homelessness. You will help to create a fun, secure and stimulating space. This will help people develop the skills and confidence to move forward in life. This will be a stimulating and hopefully rewarding role but may also be challenging and tough. You will be living alongside people who may struggle to engage, may have behaviours that challenge or are managing addictions. You will help in creating positive experiences and will help move residents from negative experiences of the past to a positive future.
This position is fully residential with all accommodation and meals provided, you will have your own bedroom in a shared house with another volunteer. A full induction will be provided and training will be offered where appropriate as well as access to ongoing support.
*Tasks and Responsibilities include:
• Live with and support up 20 community members in the village alongside other volunteers and day staff
• Encourage and motivate community life
• Help manage the day-to-day domestic tasks and decisions within the building
• Support residents to engage in activities that will help them achieve their personal goals and aspirations.
• Actively support the delivery of a Well-Being Programme that provides an environment for residents to learn independent living skills such as cooking, cleaning, money management, lifestyle balance, and more.
• Work with residents to develop informal social and recreational activities that will enhance village life and well-being.
• Support residents to keep to new commitments such as volunteering, learning, and training
• Work closely with staff and volunteers to create a pleasing and supportive environment for all
A fantastic opportunity with all help making a real difference and greatly appreciated.
For further details please contact Kathy Hoyle, Senior Recruitment and Engagement Worker at email KathyHoyle@cyrenians.scot or tel.: 0131 600 0084.