What’s a community kitchen?
A community kitchen is a place where people can come to cook, eat and socialise together. While they are there, people can learn and share tips to reduce food waste and save money. The best bit is, all the food and cooking facilities are free – as long as they are being used to cook and / or help people to cook without waste.
A community kitchen volunteer is someone who helps to organise and run the community kitchen and the activities that take place there.
As a community kitchen volunteer you’ll be:
• Cooking and eating with your fellow volunteers, and any friends, family and members of your local community who come along.
• Organising and running a community kitchen. Your activities might include; helping to source and collect food for use in the kitchens, welcoming new people to the kitchen, teaching someone how to cook without waste or with less waste, helping to prepare and serve food for groups, demonstrating how to store and freeze foods properly, helping people to portion properly.
• Helping with washing up (sorry, it’s unavoidable).
We offer a welcoming approach and treat all members with the dignity that they deserve. KLSB have worked alongside community partners including Stenhousemuir FC, local councillors, local small businesses & various homeless charities and supported accommodation.
Members pay a small fee whenever they visit the pantry where they can pick up to 10 items of food, household essentials, personal products and / or pet food. Depending on availability we may also be able to offer free items which will be over the members allocation.
We do not operate like a food bank where pantry users are only entitled to a small amount of goods for a small period of time. We offer our members a place on the pantry at a cost of only£2.50 per visit. This cost entitles the member to call into the pantry once per week and pick items of shopping. As we are a non-profit group all funds received are reinvested back into the pantry meaning that there is always stock available for all. We offer our members fresh fruit, bread & eggs.
We are looking for volunteers to help at our Community Food Pantry in Stenhousemuir. Duties will include:-
• Moving and sorting stock which requires a level of physical fitness
• Sorting stock into dates and rotating stock within those dates
• Restocking shelves with cupboard items
• Making up recipe bags with ingredients
• Recording fridge and freezer temperatures
• Assisting service users visiting the pantry
• Cash handling of fees and donations
The pantry is open 3 days per week, although volunteers are in the pantry out with these times sorting stock and restocking shelves. We are looking for volunteer commitment of at least 2 hours per week for a minimum term of 6 weeks, this is to enable volunteers to build relationships with our service users.
To apply please fill out an application form: https://www.klsb.org.uk/pantry.html