Boogie at the Bar – Inverurie is a monthly afternoon disco in Inverurie aimed at older adults or anyone who doesn’t want to go out at night any more. It is Dementia Friendly and inclusive with a positive and supportive welcome.
There is a DJ actively taking requests, a light lunch and a cuppa and biscuit. The bar is open so other drinks can be bought (paid for independently)We typically get around 50 people attending each month, a mixture of independently living older adults and those supported through Very Sheltered Housing or Care Homes.
We promote a fun, relaxed party atmosphere, actively encouraging dancing, song requests and conversation.
As a volunteer with Boogie at the Bar – Inverurie you could be asked to:
• Be on site from 1.15 – 4.30 on the days you are volunteering.
• Meet and greet participants as they arrive through the main pub door or the side door, and if new help them to understand the layout of the room, location of toilets and the Bar.
• Help set up tea/coffee/soup/sandwiches and support staff and older adults to make sure everyone gets what they need. Clear away and help wash cups etc.
• Encourage song requests and support them getting to the DJ.
• Help participants who are less confident to get on to the dance floor.
• Make conversation – not everyone Boogies all the time so be prepared to take some time and have a chat.
What you could get from being a Boogie volunteer
• A great fun afternoon full of smiles, dancing and laughter.
• Access to Dementia awareness training (Aberdeenshire Voluntary Action or Alzheimer Scotland).
• Opportunity to meet older adults living in your community.
• Develop skills around communication.
• Support older adults to remain connected.
• Meet care staff and other professionals working in your community.
• Experience community support and development in action.
• Develop skills and connections that could help with study/job choices in the future.