As an IT Support volunteer you will provide a timely, effective, free and impartial advice and assistance on a one-off or short-term basis, to disabled or older people to resolve their computer related issues in their home and/or remotely.
Do you have a passion for the power of technology?
Our vision is to create... A world in which digital services are equally accessible to all. As an AbilityNet Tech volunteer you can help unleash the power of technology to ensure that older people and disabled people are not excluded from the digital world.
All across the UK our 300 volunteers support older and/or disabled people at home to offer one-to-one
support with their technology, whether that’s a computer, laptop, smartphone or tablet.
- Trouble shoot technical issues.
- Offer impartial advice on technology.
- Set up new tech and install hardware and software.
- Show people how to use their tech at home e.g. shop online, send and receive emails and Skype with family and friends.
- Make adaptations to support a disabled person’s specific technology needs.
What will I be doing?
- Contacting clients to arrange a date/time to support (home visits or supporting them remotely).
- Carrying out tech support for the clients you have accepted.
- Feeding back on progress via our online ticketing system.
- Supporting your local Coordinator with promoting the volunteer service in the local area.
- Getting together with other tech volunteers at team meetings and wider company events.
- Undergoing training on technology, particularly adaptive technology.
- Supporting other volunteers through our online chat facility
What are the benefits to me?
As an AbilityNet Tech Volunteer you can:
- Change the lives of disabled and older people.
- Benefit from technology and disability training.
- Network with a nationwide team of other Tech volunteers.
- Be flexible with your volunteering and plan it around your other work and home commitments.
If you think you have what it takes to be an AbilityNet Tech volunteer apply online, https://abilitynet.org.uk/abilitynet-itcanhelp-volunteer-application.
You will be contacted by a local Volunteer Coordinator to arrange an informal interview. If you would like more information, or to chat further about the volunteer role contact the AbilityNet Free Services team on 0800 048 7642, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.