What does the role involve?
• Identifying locations to distribute My Guide service literature within the local area e.g. libraries, local organisations and eye clinics
• Helping find, plan and attend; information days, meetings or talks within the local area to promote the service to; people with sight loss, potential volunteers and potential referral sources
• Working with relevant staff to research and identify media opportunities to target volunteer recruitment and user engagement within your local area
• Utilise case studies from partnerships within the local area to promote the service
• Act as an ambassador for Guide Dogs by promoting its services and demonstrating the Guide Dogs family values
• Develop a My Guide community in your area by organising events for volunteers and customers to interact with each other
• Checking ID documents of potential volunteers for use in disclosure checks
Location: Home based and travel within specified regions
What skills or experience are required?
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Able to effectively contribute to team working with other volunteers and staff
• Able to work independently with minimal supervision
• Act in a non-judgemental way, without discrimination
• Experience of sight loss would be an advantage but not necessary as all training will be provided
• Experience of marketing and/or recruitment would be an advantage
What will I get out of it?
• An opportunity to share your enthusiasm for volunteering
and meet with a variety of local groups and people
• Make a massive difference to people in your community
• Opportunity to meet and interact with other Guide dogs volunteers
• Become a valued and integral member of Guide Dogs
• Have a direct impact on people with a visual impairment
in local community
What support / training will I get?
• Regular and ongoing support from your supervisor
• Support, information, training and resources to enable you to undertake your role safely and effectively
• Payment of all out of pocket expenses
• An opportunity to take part in general Guide Dogs volunteer training and development that is available
• An introduction into safe sighted guiding skills and visual impairment awareness
Will I need to do a Disclosure check?
No, not for this volunteer role
Minimum Age: 18