A great chance to join a friendly team as a Befriender. Are you a Parent? Would you like to help other parents? Can you spare a couple of hours each week? Come and join us!
At ParentSpace, we believe parenting is the hardest and most important job in the world and all parents want to do the best possible job we can. We also believe that, just as it takes a village to raise a child, it takes a village to raise a parent. That’s where our Parent Befrienders come in. As a Parent Befriender, you will be a crucial part of the village we all need.
The role includes:
• Meeting with your befriendee(s) at a regular time which suits you both, either at their home or a mutually agreed place, online or by phone.
• Offering unconditional, non judgemental support through active listening
• Maintaining confidential notes
• Attending monthly supervision, usually online
• Attending ongoing training
We offer a 6 week training package, covering all aspects of the role, such as communication and active listening, confidentiality, parental wellbeing and mental health, looking after our wellbeing as befrienders, boundaries and safeguarding.
After this, we ask that you are available for 1-2 hours per week for the minimum of 12 months.
To be a ParentSpace Befriender, you need to be:
• A parent yourself
• Friendly, good at listening and able to offer non judgemental support
• Available 1-2 hours per week plus additional time for ongoing training and supervision
• Transport is helpful but not essential
• Access to Internet to attend online training, supervision and complete notes
We welcome parents with lived experience of the many challenges parenting can bring, such as postnatal depression, anxiety, bereavement, parenting children with additional needs… These are examples of some of the difficulties your befriendees may be dealing with and it can help to form a rapport if you have a similar experience.
This what one of our current Befrienders says about the role:
'I started my training with Parentspace last autumn and was matched with a parent by December. I honestly wasn't expecting to meet so many lovely people. The training was thoughtful and thorough. The trainers were so encouraging and naturally the other trainees were friendly! I was relieved that I didn't have to have all the answers or be a perfect parent myself; my own struggles have shown me the difference this kind of support can make and they also make it easier to form a connection. The support from my supervisor and the ParentSpace team means I never feel isolated and has helped me build my confidence. Personally, I look forward to the befriending sessions and have had a lot of fun since I joined up.'