Did you know that around 1 in 5 Mums and birthing people will develop a mental illness in the ante/perinatal period? At LATNEM (AKA Let’s All Talk North East Mums) we have lived experience. We’ve been there and now provide a safe, free peer support group for mums and birthing people in the North East of Scotland. LATNEM is registered as a Scottish Charitable Incorporated Organisation with the Office of the Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR)-registration number: SC051029.
We now have an exciting opportunity for the right person to help us start an Aberdeen group.
Our groups are warm, welcoming spaces where Mums and birthing people can come together and support each other, guided and assisted by our trained volunteers.
Volunteers tasks include:
• Prepare room for peer support meetings, return room to original state after meeting
• Manage stock of resources and refreshments for meetings
• Provide members with refreshments
• Facilitate peer support group
• Building supportive and respectful relationships with members
• Supporting others using the personal experience and confidence you have gained having overcome similar challenges
• Talk openly and honestly about your experiences, demonstrating that poor maternal mental health is nothing to be ashamed of
• Assisting people to identify their own recovery goals
• Providing information and support to family and friends of members where required
• Signposting members to professional services, other 3rd Sector support
• Modelling personal responsibility, self-awareness, self-belief, self-advocacy and hopefulness
• Processing personal members data in line with GDPR
• Responding to enquiries about the group
• Identifying material to share via Social Media
Excellent support and relevant training is provided to all volunteers Including:
• Initially meetings will be run with a trained LATNEM volunteer/founder as a mentor to the new volunteer.
• Full Safeguarding training will be given by LATNEM safeguarding officer.
• An accredited Mental Health First Aid qualification will be paid for by LATNEM (subject to a training fees agreement).
• LATNEM provide insurance with access to an Employee Assistance counselling and legal advice line.
All help is greatly appreciated and makes a real difference.
For further information please contact Gill Skene, Chair and Peer Supporter at email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Further details are also available on our website at: https://latnem.org/