Feed the Minds is a UK-based international development charity with over 50 years’ experience in delivering practical education projects to people experiencing extreme poverty, conflict, and/or discrimination throughout the world.
They believe that each person deserves the opportunity to lead a healthy and fulfilled life, free from poverty and discrimination in all its forms, and that education paves the way for people to be agents of change in their own lives.
Their currently funded projects, for example, are arming people who are experiencing food shortages and who are already being hard-hit by the climate crisis with sustainable farming skills in Sierra Leone, South Sudan, and Cameroon. And they're offering business classes to women in Kenya, and supporting women in Uganda to produce reusable sanitary pads as part of an effort to encourage the development of social enterprises and to spread awareness about women’s health.
- Are you hoping to save time and money this holiday season?
- Are you trying to lessen your impact on the environment?
- Are you keen to declutter your home?
- Are you looking for a creative way to support a worthwhile charity?
Give new life to the books, toys, and clothing that are cluttering your home by hosting an Eco-Christmas Gift Swap fundraising event! Your friends and family will love the gifts that will be new to them, and you and your friends will love saving money and time. And as if that wasn’t enough, your fundraiser will help support the amazing education projects funded by Feed the Minds throughout the world!
- Go through your home and collect all the unused items (that are still in very good condition), all the gifts you were given but never use, all the clothing that you meant to take back but forgot to, all the puzzles you’ve already done, the books your kids have already read, (etc., etc.). Then, invite your friends to do the same!
- Make a plan about where and when to meet so that all those treasures can find new, loving homes, and you and your friends can raise money for some very worthwhile projects. It’s a win for you and your friends, a win for the planet, and a win for people experiencing extreme poverty throughout the world!
- Would you and your friends like to meet in a community hall on a weeknight? Or maybe you’d all prefer a small gathering at someone’s home? Or maybe the local pub could be hired? Or maybe you’d all feel more comfortable meeting outside in the garden? Maybe you could gather right after the school run? The possibilities are endless.
- Because Christmas shopping seems to happen earlier and earlier every year, sometime in November would be ideal. That way, people will be able to relax knowing that they’ve gotten all the gifts they need very early in the holiday season.
OPTIONS FOR FUNDRAISING
- Attendees could donate what they think is fair, based on all they’ve chosen to take and what they can afford.
- Beyond the gift swap, you could also hold a bake sale, a craft fair, and/or a raffle to raise even more money for their projects!
Finally, I am happy to provide support and advice every step of the way!