Volunteering Matters, the UK’s largest volunteering charity, believe that everyone in the UK should have the opportunity to thrive. We bring people together to overcome some of society’s most complex issues through the power of volunteering. Our Retired and Senior Volunteer Programme (RSVP) encourages those aged 50+ to volunteer and be active in their communities. RSVP projects can take many forms, from school support, to driving schemes, all having an incredible impact both on the wider community, and our volunteers.
In Aberdeen, we are looking for a passionate, friendly individual to re-establish RSVP knitting groups in the Aberdeen area as a Group Volunteer Organiser. As our RSVP Knitting Group Volunteer Organiser, you will engage other adults aged 50+ in the local community who enjoy knitting, bring them together as knitting volunteers, but also providing a social forum for the knitters to chat and spark friendships. Activity will also happen in between, with knitters completing items at home too.
In addition to setting up groups and arranging for them to come together (if they would like to), the Organiser will collect items created, and ensure they are donated to local organisations that can benefit from them. Previously, this has included clothes for the local neonatal unit, trauma teddies, and others. This will involve networking in the Aberdeen area to establish relationships with organisations and agree how donations will work.
You don’t have to be an avid knitter yourself, this role is more to organise knitting activity, and be the point of contact for knitters and partners in the local area. However, if you would like to be involved in the knitting activity, that would be most welcome.
- Engaging with keen knitters in the local area to form groups, and on-going contact with knitters
- Promoting knitting opportunities/encouraging wider involvement via local press, social media etc.
- Working with organisations to create partnerships for the knitting to be donated to
- Ensuring quality control of items
- Applying for small grants/funding/some fundraising activity would be beneficial
- Gathering items from knitters and arranging collection/delivery
- Ensuring social opportunities for knitters to come together (if they wish to)
- Inputting to the wider RSVP network as and when appropriate
*You will be:
- Honest, reliable, and friendly volunteer aged 50+
- Regular commitment
- An interest in networking/building relationships
- Good communication, organisational, and people skills
- Ability to volunteer independently, taking initiative to grow the groups, with minimum support
- Able to lift/move bags of knitting donations and transport them – being a driver would be useful
*We will provide:
- A fun, enjoyable and worthwhile voluntary experience
- Sense of achievement
- Relevant training and support
- All travel expenses
- Relevant insurance for activities
- Opportunity to engage with the wider RSVP and Volunteering Matters Network
A fantastic opportunity to help and make a real difference for people and the community.
For further details please contact Louise Orr, Delivery Leader at email: firstname.lastname@example.org or tel.: 07534 108 842.