To monitor the financial administration of the Charity in consultation with the and report to the Board of Directors at regular intervals on its financial health and in line with best practice and legal requirements.
This is a fulfilling and exciting Voluntary role with a forward thinking Charity, with a chance to influence and make decisions that will take the Charity forward. It is an opportunity to work with a small dedicated team of staff and Board Members who all work closely together in helping and supporting the most vulnerable people in our community.
The main responsibilities and duties of the Treasurer include:-
• Attending Board Meetings and take an active role in making decisions that will contribute to the running of the Charity.
• Leading in the Board’s duty to ensure that proper accounting records are kept and financial resources are properly controlled, invested and economically spent in line with the Articles of Association.
• In consultation with Encompass’ Financial Team, to monitor and advise the Board on the Financial stability of the Charity.
• Presentation of annual budgets, as agreed with Encompass Financial Administrator, for Board approval.
• To liaise with the Charity’s bookkeeper and General Manager.
• Review the Annual Accounts in consultation with the Financial Administrator and Bookkeeper and present them to the Independent Examiner
• Liaise with the Independent Accounts Examiner to prepare timely Financial Statements for presentation to the Board of Directors and then to members at the AGM for approval.
• Liaise and support the General Manager in dealing with the Scottish Borders Council for renewal of contract or the level of funding, as and when required.
• As Company Secretary, ensure that all Companies House matters are dealt with in a timely manner, including the changes in Directors and submission of forms and accounts within the set timescales.
• Ensure that the accounts are submitted to OSCR within the set timescales.
Skills and Experience Required:-
• A good working knowledge of Excel, Word and email is required.
• Experience of working on Boards is desirable and a willingness to be able to contribute and add value to the decisions made by the Board in the running of the Charity.
• Experience in working in the third sector/Social Work/Caring sector would be beneficial but not essential, as training can be given.
• An accounting background would be advantageous as this role requires a good level of understanding of accounts and budgets.
• A knowledge of the legal and accounting requirements required to run a Charity and dealing with the Independent Examiner, HMRC, Companies House and OSCR.
• Experience in payroll is desirable but not essential.
• Willingness to work as part of a small team and get involved with other aspects of running the Charity.
Days and times to be confirmed. The Treasurer is required to:-
• Attend 4 Board Meetings and a AGM each year (2 – 3 hours each)
• Meet the Independent Examiner and submission to various regulatory bodies (annually)
• Involvement in ad hoc activities eg visiting the office, attending other meetings in house or externally, updating bank signatories etc, (as and when desired/required)
As the Treasurer is one of the main Officers of the Charity, there is a requirement that the Treasurer must also be appointed as a Director of Encompass (a Limited Company by Guarantee).