To take part in meaningful activates with patients aged 65+ with psychiatric conditions in a supportive and caring environment. Working alongside staff, activities include:
• Carry out meaningful activities with patients, like indoor bowling, arts & crafts, food making, 1:1 chat, reminiscence, table games, garden games, pool, listening to music. It can also include outside activities like bowling, restaurants, cinema and community hall events.
• Set up and tidy up activities in communal area.
• Physical activities, e.g. accompany patients for walks or outings with the support of staff.
• Bring to the attention any concerns about patients to a member of staff.
At East Lothian Community Hospital, we are looking for Volunteer Ward Helpers to support patient care and the smooth running of the wards.
• Support the distribution of food and drinks to patients including giving out meals and drinks, refilling water jugs
• Support the cleaning up of dishes and cups following mealtimes
• Help patients to complete menu cards
• Visit patients to help them stay mentally active and socially engaged, depending on patient need
• Accompany patients to other areas of the hospital
• Answer telephones and door on ward and field enquiries/take messages
• Stock up supplies
• Undertake minor errands as directed by staff