HippFest is one of Scotland's most prestigious and popular film festivals, happening in Scotland's oldest purpose-built cinema - the Hippodrome in Bo'ness. Renowned for its warm welcome, inclusive atmosphere and community engagement, the Festival attracts fans of cinema and live music and has an unrivalled reputation in the UK for screening an exciting programme of international silent films, accompanied by a dazzling line-up of new and established musicians and performers.
We aim that all volunteers are involved in as many of the following tasks as possible throughout the Festival, including...
Working with venue staff to ensure a welcoming cinema:
• ‘Face of the Festival’ customer care activity (e.g. assisting with general queries from
members of the public)
• Queue management before and after events
• Maintain a clean environment for audiences (particularly with consideration for Covid-19).
• Support box office staff during busy periods
• Support the technical team, e.g. providing roving audience microphone for question and
• Assist in the smooth running of our events programme taking place in different event
venues across Bo’ness as a representative of the Festival (Hub/Village, the Barony
Theatre, Bo’ness and Kinneil Railway).
• Assist with guest hospitality where required
• Provide customers with programme notes for relevant titles
• Speak directly with audience members about their Festival experience
• Capture feedback by accurately completing prepared surveys with audiences as they
• Contribute to maintaining safe storage of completed surveys
Cinema with a warm welcome. The Hippodrome is Scotland's oldest purpose-built cinema. Opened in 1912, and an A-listed historic building, it is the masterpiece of architect Matthew Steele, who left Bo'ness with a remarkable built heritage of early 20th century design styles.
Experience required: Previous experience of working with the public and a passion for cinema and/or live music are
Travel details: Travel Expenses to and from Bo'ness (max. £8 per day volunteering). The majority of volunteering will take place at the Hippodrome cinema, 10 Hope Street, Bo’ness EH51 0AA. Volunteering may also be required at: Food@34a, 34/34a South Street. Bo’ness, EH51 0EA Bo’ness & Kinneil Railway Station, Union Street, Bo’ness EH51 9AQ The Barony Theatre, Borrowstoun Road, Bo’ness EH51 9RS
Minimum age: 16
Expenses details: Travel expenses will be paid (max. £8 per day worked) and refreshments will be provided.
Taster details: Festival Team / Volunteer Induction meeting: 5:30pm-7.00pm on Thursday 7th March 2024 in Bo’ness
Training details: Venue health and safety venue training will be provided at the induction meeting on along with copies of relevant Falkirk Council policies.
Support: Named Contact For Volunteer,
Wheelchair Access/Disabled Access Toilet