A befriender is an adult volunteer who, after a period of training, will provide a 1:1 supportive friendship for a socially isolated young person aged between 8 and 18 who lives in South Ayrshire. This will involve meeting on a fortnightly basis for two to three hours and sharing activities and time together. Cost of travel and activities will be reimbursed by the Project.
• To be matched on a 1:1 basis with a socially isolated young person
• To meet with the young person fortnightly, at a time to suit the volunteer
• To feedback to the Coordinator regularly, through review meetings, and maintain effective communication with the Project
• To develop and maintain positive relationship with the young person and encourage them to attend monthly group outings/activities
• To be aware of and follow the Project’s policies and procedures
• To be able to commit to the role for a minimum of 6 months
To be accepted for training, the volunteer must be able to supply two references and also become a member of the Protection of Vulnerable Groups Scheme (The Project will support the volunteer in completing the form and cover any costs incurred).
Experience required: Good communicator and non-judgemental. Respecting of people’s differences and an understanding or awareness of some issues faced by young people. To be able to focus on the needs of the young person and participate in a broad range of activities.
Travel details: Various locations throughout South Ayrshire.
Minimum age: 18
Expenses paid: Yes
Expenses details: appropriate costs will be reimbursed
Training details: 12 hours induction training. Information sessions and additional training is offered on an ongoing basis Child Protection training will be updated every two years (mandatory)
Support: Named Contact For Volunteer,
Wheelchair Access/Disabled Access Toilet