Blether Buddies make weekly friendship telephone calls to lonely and vulnerable adults in Dundee with an aim to helping them feel more connected and valued.
We are looking for volunteers to make these friendship calls. The role is fully flexible and volunteers can choose which/how many days they wish to be involved. As a volunteer, you will phone your match and chat with them for a minimum of 20 minutes once per week.
Help ensure that vulnerable people get telephone support and companionship, make a positive difference to those you contact, enhance your own skills and knowledge. The calls can be fitted around your schedule.
What relevant experience will this opportunity provide?
· Practice your active listening skills.
· Gain an understanding of the support needs of a large demographic of the population.
· Learn how to maintain accurate records and what information needs to be communicated at the right times.
· Gain an understanding of how a short weekly conversation can greatly improve someone’s mental health.
For an application form or more details please contact Dial-OP on: Telephone: 01382 305757 Email: email@example.com
Dial-OP & GO is a community project which offers a lifeline to many lonely and isolated adults in Dundee. With the help of volunteers, Dial-OP & GO provides information, connectivity and reassurance through our four service activities; Morning Call, Blether Buddies, Information Line and GO Project. We also support the delivery of the Green Health Prescription by helping people identify green activities of their choice and inspiring them to make healthier lifestyle choices. Our volunteers play a fundamental role in the delivery and success of the project, and are supported by a small team of paid staff.
Experience required: · A sensitive attitude towards other people · To be open minded and non-judgemental
· A friendly, listening ear and patient approach
· Enthusiastic with a positive attitude
· Good communication skills particularly being an active listener
· Reliable, committed and trustworthy
· Ability to accurately record information
· Keyboard and IT skills would be an advantage but training will be given.
Expenses paid: Yes
Training details: What support will Dial-OP & GO provide? · Volunteer induction pack · Induction training session · Ongoing support from the Dial-OP team · Out of pocket expenses paid (in line with company policy) · Satire Awards (for volunteers aged 12 to 25)
Support: Named Contact For Volunteer