We are looking for volunteers to lead our Gentle Movement classes for people affected by cancer. Gentle Movement instructors deliver sessions similar to Tai Chi which are a gentle introduction to moving more. They use slow, smooth body movements and controlled relaxed breathing to encourage participants to gradually become more active and gain confidence in a relaxed, friendly atmosphere.
Gentle Movement volunteer’s main activities and tasks
• Provide a warm welcome and experience to participants
• To lead a 12 week block gentle movement class in the Scottish Borders for people affected by cancer and their family/carers
• Set up, pack up and tidy before and after session
• Instructors may be required to deliver alone or alongside another instructor
• Taking a register of those attending the class & returning this to Move More staff
• Encouraging, supporting and motivating participants
• To attend training and support sessions
• Participate in the evaluation of the Move More Borders gentle movement groups
Strong evidence shows that keeping active during and after cancer treatment can help improve physical and emotional outcomes and may reduce the risk of recurrence. Macmillan together with Borders Sport and Leisure Trust have created the Move More programme. Move More Borders is a programme to help people affected by cancer to get moving. With various activities including gentle movement classes, walking and group activity classes, there is something for everyone.
Experience required: • An interest in volunteering with people living with and beyond cancer
• Willingness to undertake training required
• Open, warm and friendly manner
• Good communication and listening skills
• Non-judgemental and empathetic
• Awareness of own limitations and boundaries
• Excellent time keeping skills and reliability
Travel details: To be confirmed
Minimum age: 18
Expenses paid: Yes
Expenses details: Move More Borders will reimburse volunteers any reasonable out-of-pocket expenses, up to an agreed limit, although it’s up to you whether you want to claim or not. To claim you need to fill in a claim form and provide a receipt for the expenses incurred, claim forms are available from your Move More Borders contact.
Training details: 4 days activity specific gentle movement training 1 day Macmillan core training
Support: Named Contact For Volunteer