Inverewe is internationally acknowledged to be one of the finest gardens in Scotland, both as a work of art and for its remarkable plant collection. Founded by Osgood Mackenzie in 1862, the garden was offered into the care of the NTS in 1952 by his daughter. The 54 acre garden is impressively set on a peninsula on the shores of Loch Ewe, where the warm currents of the North Atlantic Drift help ornamental plants from many countries to flourish in an almost continual display of colour. The main feature of Inverewe is its woodland garden, containing notable collections of rhododendrons, exotic trees and shrubs, primulas, Meconopsis, and other woodland, herbaceous and peat-garden plants. There is also a spectacular walled kitchen garden, and a nursery with greenhouses. Garden Guide volunteers enhance the visitors? understanding of the history of the garden and plants on view, as well as promoting the Trust and its valuable conservation work.