As a call companion, you will make regular telephone calls to an older person experiencing loneliness and isolation. These calls provide a lifeline of friendship for our older people, and the regular, warm, friendly chats and companionship provide a vital link with the outside world from which they have become isolated.
Over time, you and the older person you have been matched with will get to know each other well and together you will spend many hours full of fun, laughter and stories.
You will need one reference and to complete an ID check for this role.
• Calling the older person you have been matched with two to four times per month at an agreed time.
• Following the guidance in your call companion training modules to ensure that your calls are enjoyable, appropriate and in line with our charitable aims.
• Keeping in regular contact with Re-engage.
This is a flexible, homebased voluntary role that can easily be fitted in around your own lifestyle and availability.
Call companions call the older person they are matched with between two and four times per month, and each call lasts around 30 minutes. During your first call with the older person, you will decide together how often the calls will take place and at what time.
This is a long-term voluntary role, so we are ideally looking for individuals who are able to commit to volunteering with us for at least 12 months.
Re-engage is a charity that is positive about older age and committed to fighting lonliness so that people can have social lives and friendship groups however old they are. We inspire and enable meaningful connections and shared experiences within communities across the UK for people over 75 facing lonliness and social inclusion. Our volunteers work together to create better communities and help to enrich the lives of our members by giving them something to look forward to. Older people who may have felt very alone, now feel values as individuals, continue to form friendships, and have groups that give support. We make sure that people know they are important well into old age.
This is a flexible, homebased voluntary role that can easily be fitted in around your own lifestyly and availability.
Experience required: No experience necessary .
• Good conversation skills
• An enthusiasm for speaking on the phone and making connections remotely
• A friendly, empathetic approach
• The ability to really listen to people
• A passion for improving the lives of lonely and isolated older people
• The ability to volunteer as part of a mutually supportive team of call companions
Basic computer literacy (including the ability to use email)
Travel details: This is a homebased opportunity.
Minimum age: 18
Named Contact For Volunteer