At Macmillan we give people with cancer everything we’ve got. Are you a good listener and clear communicator? Then we would love you to join our team as a Macmillan Community Buddy and help Macmillan support people living with cancer.
*Why we want you:
Bring your listening and communication skills to support people living with cancer to feel less isolated and lonely and to help with practical tasks that they are temporarily having trouble with. By joining us you’ll be doing something amazing for people, so they can continue to feel connected to the world outside and helping them find their best way through. Together, we can be right there for people with cancer.
*What you will be doing
• Providing face-to-face support in the community or in people’s homes to alleviate loneliness and help with simple practical tasks
• Adopting a non-judgemental and supportive approach to understand the needs and concerns of people living with cancer
• Supporting 1-3 people living with cancer every week for up to 12 visits
• Completing post call ‘records of activity’ reports and using all required systems
• Joining group catch up calls every 4-6 weeks to get key updates and/or share good practice
• Volunteering within agreed hours and following all best practice guidelines
• Signposting to additional support if required and raising any further concerns with the Macmillan team
*The skills you need
• Good listener and clear communicator
• Patient, flexible and reliable
• Ability to respect others’ differences and choices
• Ability to demonstrate empathy and understanding while maintaining boundaries
• Ability to recognise when to ask for support
• Ability to work independently with guidance and support
• Understand the need to maintain confidentiality
• Ability and willingness to travel in your local area
• Good IT skills in order to access required systems and resources
• Ability to commit to 4 hours of online training
*What's in it for you
• Meet new people as part of a friendly team that makes a difference
• Use and develop your communication and people skills
• Have a rewarding experience making a difference to people living with cancer who are especially isolated
• Receive an induction, relevant training, the support you need to carry out your role, and agreed out-of-pocket expenses (reimbursed within our guidelines)
By sharing your skills and time, you’ll have the opportunity to utilise and develop your skills and will make a difference to people’s lives. Together, we can be right there for people with cancer. If you would like to join our team, please apply to volunteer today!
For further details/to apply please visit: https://volunteering.macmillan.org.uk/opportunities/193-macmillan-community-buddy-scotland-2022-09-27
At Macmillan, we know cancer can affect everything. But right now, we can’t reach everyone who needs us. Almost half of us will get cancer, and we need your help to make sure that people get the support they need. Whether it’s minutes or months, hours or days, the time you give by volunteering with Macmillan really does matter.
Flexible times available to assist. All help is greatly appreciated.
Minimum age: 18
Expenses paid: Yes
Expenses details: We reimburse both public transport and driving related costs to undertake sessions with service users.
Training details: Excellent support and relevant training is provided to all volunteers. All volunteers will be provided with training (computer/online live) prior to taking up the role. They will also be given opportunities to complete further training whilst they are in the role. They are provided support on a one to one basis and also within a group setting with Macmillan staff.
Support: Named Contact For Volunteer,
Wheelchair Access/Disabled Access Toilet