OPAL aims to maintain or increase the independence and well-being of older Eildon tenants in the Borders. Our dedicated, trained volunteers offer encouragement, companionship and support to engage in social, leisure and community activities.
Role Description :
We support Eildon tenants aged 60+ who are looking to re-connect socially either on a one-to-one basis or in a group setting.
Overview: Providing support to deliver group activity for Eildon tenants aged 60+ experiencing loneliness and isolation.
Reporting to: Service Coordinator
• Assistance in the setting up and tidying away pre and post group/event
• Chatting to group members
• Helping to support activities
• In some cases taking the lead with activity delivery
Benefit to volunteer:
• Help older people in your community to stay connected and to be less socially isolated
• Help older adults in your community to remain active and independent and reduce their social isolation
• Personal development
• Making new friends
• Experience for work/college
• Contribute to the work of Eildon and Cyrenians
Time Commitment: Minimum 3 hours per month.
Disclosure: All volunteers require membership to the Disclosure Scotland PVG Scheme, this will be organised by Eildon (no fee).
Eildon Housing Association has partnered with Cyrenians to deliver Older People Active Lives (OPAL) in the Borders. The project provides preventative services for Eildon tenants aged 60+ and offers a range of activity and learning groups in local communities, offering a safe accessible space to build local community, have fun, improve physical health, keep mentally active and learn new things. Community members decide what they would like to do, things like social and supper clubs, digital skills classes, singing and arts groups, to community cooking and more
Experience required: • Good listening skills
• Good communication skills
• Friendly personality
• Organisational skills
• Good time keeping
• Respect confidentiality
Travel details: Wilkie Gardens and Oakwood Park, Galashiels, Scottish Borders
Minimum age: 16
Expenses paid: Yes
Expenses details: Travel and out of pocket expenses are reimbursed.
Training details: All training relevant to the role will be provided by Cyrenians
Support: Named Contact For Volunteer