We can all feel lonely and isolated at times and those feelings can be more intense and devastating if you are also facing financial hardship.
Aberdeen North and South Foodbanks have come together, with funding from the Trussell Trust, to provide a financial resilience service where individuals who require a food parcel can receive money, debt, and energy advice. Aberdeen Citizen Advice Bureau will provide this advice.
This service which will support those struggling with financial hardship will be supported by our Befriending Project. Volunteer befrienders will encourage those referred, to engage with the wider project.
Our aim is to ensure that our trained and compassionate volunteers provide a lifeline to people, in the form of friendship and offer a helping hand to enable them to engage with the financial support on offer.
If you would like to be a part of this holistic service, please apply to become a Volunteer Befriender.
• To befriend individuals who have used the food bank and who require financial/energy advice from Citizens Advice Bureau advisors and who would benefit from someone to accompany them to their appointment.
• To participate in the TLC Volunteer befriender induction programme, and ad hoc training throughout the year as and when required.
• To attend 3 monthly volunteer supervision sessions.
• Commit to a regular 1hr 30min befriending session each week.
• To establish and maintain appropriate boundaries within the befriending relationship.
• To ensure that confidentiality is always upheld and be willing to report any concerns, including safeguarding issues to the project co-ordinator.
• To work within a non-discriminatory framework.
• TLC are looking for befrienders to ideally commit to the project for at least 12months.
*(Note: Volunteer befrienders will not be asked or required to meet any personal care needs.)
All help makes a real difference and is greatly appreciated. For further information please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
At TLC our vision is to see a transformed community where poverty and social isolation are a thing of the past. The TLC Befriending Project provides befriending services for anyone aged 18 and older where our values of Compassion, Purposefulness and Community are central to everything we do.
Experience required: - Good listening and communication skills with a range of people.
- Patience and tact.
- A caring, sympathetic, sensitive manner and a non-judgemental approach.
- Reliable and dependable.
- Ability to share experiences.
- Willing to learn.
- Have a positive outlook.
- Commitment to understanding the needs of the people we serve.
- Willingness to work without direct supervision.
- Understanding of confidentiality (working within TLC policies and procedures).
Travel details: Aberdeen city based.
Minimum age: 18
Expenses paid: Yes
Expenses details: You will have access to volunteering expenses, including travel expenses while on placement and expenses for any activity undertook while on placement. Expenses are paid at the end of each month.
Training details: Excellent support and relevant training is provided to all volunteers. Includes two core training nights which gives befrienders the knowledge and skills required before starting, as well as continuous training every few months to build on befriender knowledge and skills. Our Befriending Coordinator will also walk beside you every step of the way and will offer step-by-step support, as well as formal supervision every three months.
Support: Named Contact For Volunteer,
Wheelchair Access/Disabled Access Toilet