Quarriers Village Supported Living is a care at home/housing support service. We currently support 32 individuals with learning and/or physical disabilities to live as independently as possible in their own homes.
Purpose of the Role:
Are you friendly, outgoing, reliable and would enjoy working with adults with disabilities? Do you have a few hours each week to spare? Would you like to be part of this exciting new initiative that will make a lasting positive change in people’s lives? If yes, then this exciting new Volunteer Social Group Facilitator opportunity is for you!
We are looking for friendly, outgoing individuals to facilitate our weekly social groups within Quarriers Village that is that is suitable for a wide range of individuals with learning and physical disabilities. To achieve engagement, reduce social isolation and enable people to feel included in their community.
Volunteer Social Group Facilitators main tasks will be to:-
• Plan and organise weekly group sessions including various activities to ensure engagement, stimulation and participation. These may include Arts, Crafts, Health, Fitness, dancing and games.
• Engage with people attending the social group and encoujrage them to meet new people, try new things to increase their social and physical skills and have fun!
• To coordinate with staff around any financial aspects required in planning activities and resource.
• Ensure tea, coffee, soft drinks available in “tuck shop”
• Liaise with staff support teams around planned activities and budget.
• Ensure health & safety measures are adhered too, including compliance around Covid19 safeguarding measures.
• To ensure venue is cleaned and maintained.
• Greeting members as they arrive and introducing new members to the group.
• Feeding back any issues, comments, suggestions or incidents that have taken place during the weekly groups
• To ensure venue is secure at the end of each session.
What are the benefits:
• Gaining experience in supporting staff
• We give our volunteers a sense of family, together transforming the lives of the vulnerable people we care for and support
• Gaining new experiences and learn new skills
• Build confidence and gain a sense of achievement
• Improved physical and mental health wellbeing
• Free training and development
• Adding to your CV
• Trying something new and meet new people
• Have fun!
Application form, meeting, references and disclosure.
The venue is accessible with ramp at the entrance and an internal lift to the upper floor.
Quarriers is a Scottish charity providing practical support and care for children, adults and families. We challenge poverty and inequality of opportunity and choice, to bring about positive change in people's lives. Quarriers operates 127 Projects throughout Scotland and South-West England. They vary greatly, due to the wide variety of needs that we address but include group homes and supported living services for people with physical and learning disabilities, support services and Scotland's only residential assessment service for people with complex forms of epilepsy; a residential and day school and community based projects for children with social, emotional and behavioural difficulties; hostels and support services for young homeless people; family centres; respite and long term care for children with a range of disabilities and other difficulties and support services for carers.
We hope you can commit for a minimum of 6 months longer if possible. One set day each week by agreement to offer structure and continuity to people who may access the club. Club attendees will be supported by a member of Quarriers staff at each session.
Experience required: No formal qualifications required however volunteers would require:-
Some experience of supporting adults with learning/physical disabilities preferable but not essential as training provided. Able to help others with additional support needs, meet new people, try new things so they can increase their social and physical skills and have fun. Good communication skills, verbal and attentive listener. Have a kind, caring, compassionate attitude, be creative, reliable, trusting & supportive.
Minimum age: 18
Expenses paid: Yes
Expenses details: All agreed expenses will be provided.
Training details: All relevant training will be provided, including a named person to provide support. You will also have the opportunity to access other training as part of personal development.