For people leaving hospital, adjusting to life at home can be a difficult time. Helping someone get their essential shopping, pick up their prescription or get the heating turned on can make all the difference for them to feel safe at home.
This service is available in Aberdeen 7 days a week 9.00am - 8.00pm depending on needs.
We would like you to :
• volunteer at least 4 hours a week within the above times
• to drive and have use of a car if possible, though this is not essential
*Why we want you
If you are compassionate and like helping and meeting people, then this could be the role for you. Volunteers like you support people who are leaving hospital, helping to build their confidence so that they can continue to live independently in their own home.
*What you will be doing
• Visit people in hospital as they are getting ready to go home.
• Bring people home from hospital.
• Help someone settle in when they first arrive home.
• Support with shopping and collecting prescriptions.
• Help people find further support if they need it.
• Keep records of tasks.
*The skills you need
• Warm and friendly with empathy for others.
• Good communication skills.
• Encouraging and supportive.
• Enjoy meeting and spending time with new people.
• Can work independently and as a part of a team.
• Able to commit to a regular shift.
*What's in it for you
• Meet new people and be part of a dynamic and inclusive team.
• A great opportunity to develop your existing skills and gain new ones.
• All training and induction for the role (there is no charge for training).
• Reasonable pre-agreed travel expenses for the role including for attending training.
• An opportunity to be part of the world’s largest humanitarian organisation and the knowledge that you are making a difference to people’s lives.
All help makes a real difference and is greatly appreciated. For full details and to apply please visit: https://volunteer.redcross.org.uk/opportunities/21249-independent-living-service-volunteer-grampian-2021-10-13
The British Red Cross helps people in times of crisis, providing a range of services in local communities across the UK. We are a volunteer-led humanitarian organisation that helps people in crisis, whoever and wherever people are.
Travel details: Volunteer opportunities across Aberdeen City/Grampian area.
Expenses paid: Yes
Training details: Excellent training and support is provided to all volunteers.
Support: Named Contact For Volunteer,
Wheelchair Access/Disabled Access Toilet