A group volunteer is someone who, after a period of training and assessment, will provide support to young people on a 1:1 basis or to the group as a whole at the Project’s group outings. The Project facilitates 12 group outings per annum for socially isolated young people aged between 8 & 18, living in South Ayrshire.
• To participate where possible in monthly group outings & volunteer support sessions and attend a minimum of 6 per annum
• To read Volunteer handbook & be aware of the Project’s policies and procedures and adhere to them.
• To comply with Project’s administrative procedures.
South Ayrshire Befriending Project (SABP) provides one to one befriending support for socially isolated young people affected by multiple disadvantage and adversities. Each year SABP supports approximately 45 young people living in South Ayrshire, ranging in age from 8 to 18 years. The main aim of befriending is to reduce the social isolation of the young people we support and improve their emotional wellbeing, confidence and self-esteem. A further aim is to ensure young people are included, listened to and that they feel valued. Collectively these aims ensure young people can develop the life skills necessary to become more resilient and better equipped to overcome adversity, thus improving their future life chances.
Experience required: • Be comfortable working on their own independently and in group settings
• Be able to seek advice and support from Project staff when necessary
• Be able to communicate well with others
• Be non judgemental, respecting people’s differences
• Have an understanding or awareness of some issues faced by young people referred to the Project
• Be willing to participate in a broad range of activities
Travel details: Able to travel locally either by walking, public transport or car in order to participate in outings with the young person.
Minimum age: 18
Expenses paid: Yes
Expenses details: • All out of pocket expenses will be reimbursed
Training details: • Group volunteers will be required to undertake a 4 week induction training course which consist of 4 x 3 hour sessions on a weekly basis •Required to refresh child protection training at least every 2 years as per the Project’s policies and procedures • Volunteers are encouraged to attend volunteer support sessions which are offered on a monthly basis and comprise of a mixture of training, information and social events • References can be given on request following 6 months commitment