We're looking for an adult volunteer who will provide a supportive friendship for a socially isolated young person aged between 8 and 18 who lives in South Ayrshire. Ideally this will involve meeting with their young person every couple of weeks for a few hours, spending time together accessing local activities.
• Be matched on a 1:1 basis with a young person.
• Go on regular outings and activities with the young person.
• Have the opportunity to participate in group outings/activities and also volunteer support sessions.
• Keeping in touch with the Project about the young person’s achievements / growth and activities, and to receive ongoing support from the Bfriend team.
• Open minded as we work with young people from a wide variety of backgrounds.
• Following training, to be able to have empathy and understanding of some of the issues encountered by young people referred to the team.
• Continuous focus on the needs of the young person who you are matched with.
• Willing to participate in a broad range of activities mutually agreed with the young person.
• To be a positive adult role model for the young person and, very importantly, to have FUN!
• Have an awareness of and be able to adhere to Bfriend’s policies and procedures.
South Ayrshire Befriending Project (SABP) provides one to one befriending support for socially isolated young people affected by multiple disadvantage and adversities. Each year SABP supports approximately 45 young people living in South Ayrshire, ranging in age from 8 to 18 years. The main aim of befriending is to reduce the social isolation of the young people we support and improve their emotional wellbeing, confidence and self-esteem. A further aim is to ensure young people are included, listened to and that they feel valued. Collectively these aims ensure young people can develop the life skills necessary to become more resilient and better equipped to overcome adversity, thus improving their future life chances.
Experience required: •Ability to communicate well with others.
•Able to complete volunteer training held over 4 sessions at mutually agreeable times.
•Happy to seek advice and guidance and receive support from their Project Coordinator whenever needed.
•Undertake refresher training as and when required.
Travel details: Able to travel locally either by walking, public transport or car in order to participate in outings with the young person.
Minimum age: 18
Expenses paid: Yes
Expenses details: All out of pocket expenses, including travel, will be fully reimbursed.
Training details: • New volunteers are provided with 12 hours of initial training. Thereafter ongoing sessions are offered through the year and include information sessions and social events. • Befrienders may also, if they wish, complete the Befriending Network’s Core Skills for Volunteers online course. • Befrienders receive regular support, contact and guidance throughout the match, and for as long as they remain with the Project. • References can be provided following a successful 6-month commitment and fulfilment of the role.