Are you a good listener with an empathetic, professional and methodical approach? Do you have two hours a week to support vulnerable adults with myalgic encephalomyelitis (M.E.)/ chronic fatigues syndrome (CFS)? Action for M.E.'s UK-wide advocacy service, expanding in Scotland, supports adults with M.E./CFS to understand their rights, make informed choices, and have their views and wishes heard and respected, dealing with issues including health, social care, housing and employment. You'll work entirely online/by phone to meet and represent clients, agree an action plan, undertake research, contact professionals and more. Full training, support and supervision provided by our experienced, friendly team.
Our vision is a world without M.E. Our mission is empowering people with M.E. to fulfil their potential and secure the care and support they need, while working towards a greater understanding of the illness and ultimately a cure. Alongside providing targeted information, support and advice to children, young people and adults with M.E., we offer peer-support services that reduce the isolation that so often comes with M.E. We work closely with professionals and policy-makers to improve access to appropriate care and support services, and collaborate with scientists, patients and clinicians to move biomedical research forward, including finding PhD studentships and co-leading DecodeME, the world's largest M.E. DNA study.
2 hours per week
Experience required: - support someone in an empathetic, professional manner
- communicate clearly and be a good listener
- work in a person-centred and empowering way
- research, record and share information clearly and accurately
- understand and interpret information from policies, processes and rights-based documents
- use IT systems such as word processing, internet, emails, video calling, and case management databases
- follow best practice guidance and Action for M.E's policies and procedures
Travel details: Home
Minimum age: 18
Expenses paid: Yes
Support: Named Contact For Volunteer