It’s rewarding and it makes a huge difference to people’s lives. It’s amazing the impact that
regular support with grocery shopping can have on someone who is isolated or lonely. If
you want to make sure that an older person is able to live well in their own home this is a
great opportunity to do so.
• Contact the older person you are matched with on a regular basis, usually weekly, to obtain their shopping list, carry out their shopping and then deliver to their home, putting away if necessary.
• Submit brief records, receipts for payment and to report any matters of concern to staff
• Keep within the boundaries of the role • To inform Food Train Connects Staff of any accidents, incidents or complaints
• To maintain confidentiality
• To represent Food Train in a professional manner to our members and the wider community
Food Train is a registered charity, voluntary organisation and social enterprise. Since 1995 Food Train has been making daily life easier for older people, providing vital services to those who are no longer able to manage independently, through age, ill health, frailty or disability. Food Train makes hundreds of grocery deliveries every week, ensuring those most in need have access to fresh groceries. Teams of dedicated local volunteers across the regions also go that extra mile by helping with household jobs, delivering books through our library service and providing much needed friendly social contact and meals through our Meal Makers and befriending services. Food Train Connects provides a one to one grocery shopping services for older people who are no longer able to manage independently, through age, ill health, frailty or disability. Our Connects Shopping Friends service is a fantastic way to make an impact on the lives of older people in your community. Our aim is to support older people to eat well, age well and live well.
Experience required: An interest in people and their lives is essential
• Friendly, sociable and patient with a caring manner
• Ability to carry out regular shopping and deliver to older person’s home
• Good verbal communication skills are required with a sense of humour who can
adapt your conversation to different types of people
• Maintain consistent communication with Food Train Connects staff throughout
Expenses paid: Yes
Support: Named Contact For Volunteer